Caring for your beeswax wraps
You love your beeswax wraps and you want to take the best possible care of them to take advantage of it and enjoy all the benefits they have to offer, right? Well, our wraps are manufactured to last a long time. However, with proper care, their useful life can be extended even more and the best thing is that they will stay in perfect condition. Keep reading and you will be with us caring for your wraps.
How to deep wash your beeswax wraps?
To take care of and extend the useful life of your wraps, it´s essential to follow the corresponding procedure and thus carry out the proper cleaning. What we want is to have a product that is hygienic and that at the same time we can reuse with complete confidence. Follow these steps and you will see how your beeswax wraps will stay optimal and ready to use:
- Use your kitchen sink to thoroughly clean your wraps, fill it up to the top with cold water, the amount of water will depend on the number of wraps you are going to wash, it´s recommended that they be completely submerged in the liquid.
- Add enough liquid soap to the water until lathering.
- Dip the beeswax wraps one by one in the mixture of water and liquid soap, begin to rub each one with a brush or sponge. Don’t be afraid to scrub firmly, the wraps are sturdy so you can clean them with confidence.
- Rinse each wrap individually to ensure that each piece is suds free.
- Hang each wrap in a ventilated area where it can dry naturally.
The previous steps apply when you want to achieve a deep cleaning of the casings, it´s advisable to carry out this procedure if they become very dirty or are left with numerous remains of food attached. Another less deep cleaning option is to wipe a damp towel on both sides of the wrap to remove any dirt on them.
There are cases where it´s enough to just use a wet towel, for cases of greater dirt it´s advisable to do the deep cleaning described above.
How to refresh your beeswax wraps to take care of them?
In addition to cleaning your wraps daily after use and performing a deep cleaning every so often, there is a refreshing procedure that consists of activating the properties of beeswax in them, it´s convenient to carry out this task every 2 to 3 months.
When you go through the refreshing process of your beeswax wraps, they will remain soft and active as the first day of purchase. There are 2 ways to do this refreshing, these are: using an electric oven or using an electric iron.
Refreshing your beeswax wraps using an electric oven
- Get inside the utensils that you normally have in your house a large tray where you can place the wraps completely open.
- Place a baking paper on the tray (this can be reused several times) which will serve as a base to place the wrappers. The baking paper that will serve as the base must be larger than the wrappers.
- Preheat the electric oven to a temperature of approximately 60 ° C. Many times the temperature of the ovens tend to vary, make sure the temperature is adequate so as not to burn or damage your wraps.
- Place the wrappers on the tray and place them in the oven at medium-high.
- Put the tray inside the electric oven for approximately 3 minutes, it´s important to stay right next to the oven to verify that the wraps do not disintegrate too much. During those 3 minutes, the wraps will try to come apart or disintegrate a bit on the sides, this is fine, but the center of the wrappers should be kept hard.
- After 3 minutes, remove the tray from the oven carefully protecting your hands.
- Carefully take the beeswax wraps with your hands and suspend them in the air for approximately 30 seconds to dry. While the wraps are suspended it´s advisable to make gentle movements to speed up the drying process.
The previous steps apply only if your oven is electric, in case your oven is gas, you should refresh your beeswax wraps using the procedure with the electric iron.
Refreshing your beeswax wraps using an electric iron
- Preheat the electric iron to maximum power while you are looking for the materials you need.
- You should have an old kitchen towel on hand and two sheets of parchment paper that are larger than the beeswax wrappers. The baking papers can be reused many times.
- On a smooth, stiff surface, place the old kitchen towel, then a sheet of parchment paper, then a wrap of beeswax, and finally another sheet of parchment paper.
- Run the hot iron several times at full power without steam over the last sheet of baking paper. Check that the wrap does not slip and always remains within the 2 sheets of baking paper.
- Finally remove the baking paper from the wrappers, do it carefully to avoid burning your hands.
- Gently pat each beeswax wrap in the air for quick drying.
How to store your beeswax wraps?
Once the beeswax wraps are dry, you can use them immediately or store them in a place where there is no humidity. To store them it´s recommended:
- Fold them one by one and store them in a drawer that is at room temperature.
- Roll up several wrappers and place them in a tall jar with a lid.
The storage of beeswax wraps is very simple, you should only avoid storing them in areas that have easy access to fire or high temperatures since these are flammable.
To take care of your wraps
Beeswax wraps are an ecological product and a great invention that allows you to preserve your food, preserve its flavor and freshness, so it´s worth applying the necessary measures to take care of it and always have it ready to use. You already know the advantages that these wonderful reusable products have, so you should be careful that everyone in the home is caring for your wraps to be able to enjoy them for a long time.